The best vegan butternut squash soup that’s cozy, creamy, and delicious.
This recipe is one of my favorite fall recipes. Some of the things I love about this time of year, besides eating soup, are the leaves falling, layering clothes, and watching scary movies. Yes, I love watching scary movies. It’s nostalgic for me.
Usually, I’d buy this soup from the store. When I made it over the summer in preparation for fall, I was like, “why have I not made this soup at home”. From now on, no more store-bought butternut squash soup.
What’s in this vegan soup recipe
The best part of this soup is that you only need a few simple ingredients.
- Rosemary and sage: Rosemary add a woodsy aromatic flavor. Sage has an earthy taste with hints of mint, lemon, and eucalyptus. Fresh is always the best. However, dried rosemary and sage work well too.
- Extra virgin olive oil: Good quality olive oil can take your soup to the next level.
- Butternut squash: The star of the show. You can either boil or roast for an even more delicious flavor.
- Onion and garlic: Both add an incredible depth of flavor.
- Ginger: This spice is optional, but it adds a warm spicy taste to the soup.
- Black pepper and sea salt: Use them both to add more flavor to the onions and garlic.
- Vegetable broth: The base of the soup. Also, it adds balance since the soup will become creamy on its own.
How to make vegan butternut squash soup
- First, chop your veggies! Set the butternut squash aside. Sauté the onion until it turns translucent, add the squash, and cook until the squash softens. Next, stir in the rosemary, sage, garlic, and ginger. Add the broth and simmer until the squash is tender – about 20 minutes.
- When the squash mixture is ready, transfer to the blender. Blend until the soup becomes creamy and bright orange. Lastly, pour the soup into bowls, garnish with greens, bread crumbs, or pumpkin seeds. Let’s eat!
Does butternut squash need to be peeled for soup?
Alternatively, you can roast butternut squash as-is. This method will make it much easier to peel and chop up.
SHANA’S KITCHEN ESSENTIALS
- Eggplant & cauliflower sandwich
- Roasted brussels sprouts
- Roasted vegetables
- Lemony spicy cauliflower
- Chickpea sandwich
More delicious vegan soups & pasta dishes
- Zucchini & Butterut Squash Pasta
- Instant Pot Cauliflower Soup
- Sweet Potato & Spinach Soup
- Vegetable Mushroom Stew
Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 lrg onion chopped
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 butternut squash peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh sage chopped (alternatively, dried sage works too)
- 1/2 tbsp minced fresh rosemary minced (alternatively, dried rosemary works too)
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger alternatively dried ginger works too
- 3-4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Add oil to a large pot and warm over medium heat. Add the salt, black pepper, onion, and sauté until soft, 4 to 8 minutes. Add the squash and continue cooking until the squash softens, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in the ginger, rosemary, sage, and garlic. Cook up to 1-minute, until fragrant, add 3 cups of the veggie broth. Bring the soup to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until the squash is tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Once done, let the soup cool a bit. Pour the soup into a blender and blend until creamy smooth. Work in batches, if needed. Taste and adjust seasoning, as needed. To too thick, add more broth and blend. Serve with microgreens, parsley, bread crumbs, or pumpkin seeds.
- Serving options: breadcrumbs, parsley, microgreens, or pumpkin seeds.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you. Please read my affiliate notice for details.