Falafel is one of my favorite healthy recipes. They are made of chickpeas and herbs originating from Egyptian and Middle Eastern cooking. Formed in the shape of balls or patties and commonly deep-fried in restaurants.
Falafel is great in pitas, sandwiches, wraps, and salads. I pan-fried them for this recipe. However, to make this easy homemade falafel even healthier I suggest baking them.
- Chickpeas (aka Garbanzo Beans): If you have the time I highly suggest using dried chickpeas and soak them overnight.
- Freshly parsley
- Freshly cilantro
- Lemon juice
- Ground cumin
- All-purpose flour
- Chia egg: Chia seeds and water combined helps to bind the mixture together and retain the falafel shape while frying.
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Grape Seed Oil
HOW TO MAKE EASY HOMEMADE FALAFEL MIXTURE
In a food processor, combine chickpeas, garlic, onion, parsley, cumin, cilantro, flour, lemon juice, and season with sea salt and black pepper. Blend until it resembles a finely ground mixture.
Transfer mixture to a bowl and let it sit for about 1-2 hours. It helps the mixture to form falafel balls easier.*
Use an ice cream scoop to form the mixture into falafel balls or patties. Note: use your hands to create falafel patties if you do not have an ice cream scoop.*
HOW TO MAKE FALAFEL MANUALLY
Use a fork to manually mash chickpeas if you do not have a food processor. *Repeat as instructed above.
HOW TO PAN FRY FALAFEL
Heat a few tablespoons of grapeseed oil in a pan on medium-high heat. Place the falafel in the pan and cook each side for 2-3 minutes or until golden, then transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to let cool.
How to Make Classic Falafel
- 1 cup dried chickpeas soaked overnight
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped cilantro
- 1 Juice of lemon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3 tbsp All-purpose flour
- Sea salt (to taste)
- Black pepper (to taste)
- Grape seed oil, for frying
- 1 chia egg 1 tbsp chia seeds & 3 tbsp water
- Chia Egg- combine 1 tbsp chia seeds & 3 tbsp water in a small container. Mix well and sit for 5 minutes until chia seeds and water create an egg-like consistency.
- In a food processor, combine chickpeas, garlic, onion, parsley, cumin, cilantro, flour, lemon juice, chia egg, and season with salt and pepper. Blend until it resembles a finely ground mixture. Note: use a fork to manually mash chickpeas if you do not have a food processor.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and let it sit for about 2 hours. It helps the mixture to form falafel balls easier.
- Use an ice cream scoop to form mixture into falafel balls. Note: use your hands to create falafel patties if you do not have an ice cream scoop.
- In a pot, heat 1” grape seed oil. Note: Do not add falafels to cold oil.
- Pan-Fry falafels until golden, then transfer to a paper towel-lined dish.
- Serve falafels with salad or in a pita with lettuce, tomatoes, and cucumber and drizzle with tahini or sauce of your choice.
Looking for more recipe inspiration? Click here to check out my recipe index.