This instant pot lentil soup with vegan sausage is creamy, meal- prep friendly, and comforting for fall and winter. A satisfying quick and easy recipe!
I’m so excited to share this recipe with you all. My love for lentils runs deep. I have to admit, I didn’t grow up eating lentils. I only discovered this gem a few years ago. Yes, it’s hard for me to believe as well. Nowadays, lentils are part of my weekly rotation of meals.
Some of my favorite ways to eat lentils
In addition to lentil soup, one of my favorite ways to eat lentils are on toast. I layer toasted ciabatta bread with lemony hummus, cilantro, black pepper, lemon zest, fresh lemon juice, and grapeseed oil. If you haven’t tried them this way, please do and thank me later. If you want the recipe for this healthy snack on the blog, leave a comment below.
Why you’ll love this instant pot lentil soup
- packed with flavor
- ready in 10 minutes
- freezer friendly
How long does it take to cook lentils in an instant pot
It depends on the type of lentils you are making. However, generally speaking, it should take about 10-20 minutes to cook lentils in the instant pot.
Do you need to soak lentils before pressure cooking
No, you do not need to soak your lentils before pressure cooking. Simply, rinse the lentils in water to clean and you are ready to pressure cook.
What you’ll need for this instant pot lentil soup recipe
- lentils – yummy! Also, adds protein and fiber.
- vegan butter – lends a rich flavor.
- garlic and onion – the base of this recipe and add flavor.
- salt and black pepper – bring out the ingredients of any recipe.
- carrots – part of the base of this soup and adds sweetness.
- thyme and rosemary – for that earthiness.
- smoked paprika – for that smokiness.
- better than boullion, no chicken base – flavor booster!
- vegan sausage – adds texture and great for those seeking plant-based substitute recipes.
- fresh lemon juice – brightens up the soup.
- bay leaf – for that minty flavor.
- water – because you need liquid.
- instant pot, of course!
How to make this instant pot lentil soup recipe
- Firstly, start by selecting the sauté setting on the instant pot. Allow time for the instant pot to heat up for a couple of minutes prior to adding the vegan butter or high-heat oil. When the butter is hot, add the onions and a pinch of salt. Cook until the onions turn brown and soften. Should take about 5-6 minutes.
- Secondly, add the carrots, garlic, and 1 tsp of salt and black pepper. Cook until the carrots start to soften, about 2-3 minutes.
- Thirdly, add the lentils, water, better than bouillion, thyme/rosemary mixture, smoked paprika, bay leaf, and remaining salt. Stir the ingredients together.
- Fourthly, add the crushed tomatoes and stir together.
- Next up, secure the lid and set the pressure to release to sealing. Choose the pressure cook setting on high pressure and set the cooking time to 10-12 minutes depending on your lentils. Allow a natural pressure release.
- Make the vegan sausage: prepare the sausage in a saucepan according to the package instructions. Set aside!
- Finally, open the pot and stir in the fresh lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Serve with bread or my vegan cheesy jalapeño cornbread.
For More delicious recipes:
- Hearty Potato & Mushroom Stew
- Vegan Pumpkin Soup
- One-Pot Easy Vegan Chili
- Sweet Potato Soup with Spinach & Chickpeas
Checkout Cooklist App:
Cooklist is an all-in-one meal planning, grocery shopping, pantry inventory, and cooking app. Save $10 off your first order of groceries through the app. Check it out here.
Instant Pot Lentil Soup with Vegan Sausage
- instant pot
- 2 tbsp vegan butter or neutral cooking oil of choice
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 tsp salt + more to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 cup dried green or brown lentils
- 4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme or rosemary or fresh thyme or rosemary (leaves chopped)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp better than boullion, no chicken base or 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 4 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 vegan sausage sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- Add the crushed tomatoes and stir together.
- Secure the lid and set the pressure to release to sealing. Choose the pressure cook setting on high pressure and set the cooking time to 10-12 minutes depending on your lentils. Allow a natural pressure release.
- Open the pot and stir in the fresh lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Serve with bread or my vegan cheesy jalapeño cornbread.