This creamy sun-dried tomato pasta is an easy plant-based recipe that comes together in 20 minutes or less.
When you don’t know what to cook for dinner or just want a healthy vegan/vegetarian-friendly recipe that’s super simple and delicious make this sun-dried tomato pasta recipe your go-to. This easy vegan meal is perfect for an easy dinner recipe for two or something the whole family can enjoy.
This easy vegan recipe is highly customizable as you can add whatever veggies and protein suit your cravings at the moment. Some ingredients I like to add to this pasta are spinach, brussel sprouts, broccoli, beyond meat, vegan cheese, pine nuts, and the list goes on.
How many calories are in a bowl of sun-dried tomato pasta
I don’t like to count calories all the time. I like to eat intuitively. If you are curious, this pasta dish is roughly 300 calories. Of course, this will be different for everyone depending on ingredients and serving size. It’s a bit lower than your normal bowl of pasta because we’re using Barilla (penne) protein pasta. This pasta has 10g of protein from ingredients like chickpeas, lentils, and pea protein. One serving of pasta is only 190 calories.
What’s in this easy plant-based recipe
- barilla protein penne pasta
- sun-dried tomatoes
- shredded brussel sprouts & kale
- nutritional yeast
- sea salt
- black pepper
- dried oregano
- Italian seasoning
- dried sage
- oat milk (sub for any non-dairy milk)
How to cook sun-dried tomato pesto pasta
If you’re interested in making sun-dried tomato pesto pasta see the following steps.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes, olive oil, basil, garlic (I prefer roasted garlic), and nutritional yeast to a food processor or blender and pulse or puree into a pesto. It should have a bit of texture.
- Feel free to add a bit of hot pasta water (2-3 Tbsp) if you have trouble making the tomato pesto mixture.
- Add your drained pasta to a pot and pour the pesto over it. Use a large spoon to mix well and season to your desired liking.
- Serve warm or cold with additional basil and nutritional yeast.
Creamy Vegan Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta
- 1 box barilla protein penne pasta 14.5oz
- 1 jar sun-dried tomatoes 8oz
- 1 cup shredded brussel sprouts & kale finely shredded
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast plus more for topping at the end
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1/4 cup oat milk (plus more, if needed) (sub for any non-dairy milk)
- 1 lemon, juice
- 1 handful pine nuts optional
- Over medium heat add sea salt and water to a pot. Once the water starts to boil, add the pasta and cook according to package instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, drain the sun-dried tomato oil onto a large skillet over medium heat and reserve the tomatoes. Once the oil is hot, add the chopped garlic and onions and sautee until fragrant (2-3 minutes). Add the shredded brussel sprouts and kale (sub for any veggies of your choice). Season with oregano, sage, black pepper, sea salt, and Italian seasonings and let simmer 5-8 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup of oat milk and stir. Toss the pasta and sun-dried tomatoes into the skillet and toss to coat. Continue stiring until warmed through 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Top with more nutritional yeast, juice of one lemon and pine nuts. Transfer the pasta to bowls and enjoy!