This vegan chickpea salad sandwich recipe is tangy, sweet, & spicy. It’s packed with smoked paprika, garlic, dill, lemon and a great option for work or school lunches throughout the week.
As much as I love chickpeas I wasn’t using them as a chickpea sandwich spread. I changed that after a beautiful chickpea sandwich image caught my attention. Chickpeas are becoming more commonly used as an alternative to the tuna fish classic sandwich. I love that the chickpea sandwich is filling, healthy, and doesn’t take long to make.
How to make vegan chickpea salad sandwich taste like tuna
If you love the flavors of tuna then add dulce flakes. Dulse is an edible seaweed and usually sold in a dried form. It has a salty, ocean-like, smoky taste, and that makes dulse a great addition to your vegan chickpea salad sandwich.
What is vegan tuna made of?
Chickpeas are often used as an alternative to the classic tuna sandwich. Largely due to its texture, chickpeas make for the perfect tuna sandwich substitute. Not to mention, the chickpea sandwich is made with lots of the same filings and flavors of the classic.
Are chickpeas good for you?
Chickpeas are packed with vitamins and minerals. Also, chickpeas have a good amount of fiber, protein & iron. This makes chickpeas a good alternative to meat. According to Healthline, A 1-ounce (28-gram) serving provides the following nutrients:
- Calories: 46
- Carbs: 8 grams
- Fiber: 2 grams
- Protein: 3 grams
- Folate: 12% of the RDI
- Iron: 4% of the RDI
- Phosphorus: 5% of the RDI
- Copper: 5% of the RDI
- Manganese: 14% of the RDI
How long does it take to cook chickpeas?
First, dried chickpeas should be covered and soaked in water overnight. No need to soak canned chickpeas. Second, transfer the soaked chickpeas to a small pot and cover with water. Third, add salt and any other spices you would like. Last, bring the water to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for approximately 25 – 45 minutes depending on your desired likeness.
Vegan Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- 4 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 cup vegan mayo
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp parsley or cilantro diced
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 juice of lemon
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Add the cooked chickpeas to a large bowl and mash them with a fork. Alternatively, use a food processor if you do not want to manually mash the chickpeas.
- Add all remaining ingredients for the chickpea salad into the bowl and mix until the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Assemble the sandwich and eat. Note: I added 2 slices of toasted bread with microgreens and a slice of tomato.
- Add 1/2 tsp Dill, 2 large ribs celery, thinly sliced.
- For that tuna taste add dulce flakes in your chickpea salad mixture.
- BBQ sauce, celery, relish