These easy vegan cornbread muffins are sweet, moist, and compliments an abundance of recipes.
I really do love cornbread. I have since I was a kid. My mom never made cornbread from scratch. Mom made jiffy mix but I didn’t know any difference and those days bring back fond memories.
Back to these cornbread muffins, I make this no-fail recipe all the time. Actually, I got this recipe from a vegan cooking class I took at a local Wholefoods in Chicago in the Lincoln Park neighborhood. It was a wonderful class and I learned so much about plant-based cooking that I use every day. So that money is well spent. This recipe works perfectly with my one-pot easy vegan chili, black eyed-peas, lentil bolognese, or my hearty mushroom & vegetable stew.
Why you’ll love these vegan cornbread muffins
- Easy to prepare
- Refined sugar-free
Ingredients for these cornbread muffins
- Bob’s Red Mill Cornbread Mix: the main ingredient. Love using Bob’s cornbread mix.
- Flour (can sub for gluten-free flour): the other main ingredient.
- Flax egg: helps to bind the ingredients.
- Vegan buttermilk: adds moisture and tangy flavor.
- Vegan butter (or oil): a staple for most baked goods
- Maple syrup or honey: adds sweetness to the recipe.
- Baking soda: works as a leavening agent in baked recipes.
- Baking powder: helps the cornbread rise.
- Sea salt: brings out the flavor in the cornbread.
How to make vegan cornbread oil-free
To make this cornbread oil-free simply swap out the oil/butter for applesauce.
How to make this vegan cornbread gluten-free
To make these cornbread muffins gluten-free simply use your favorite gluten-free flour blend in place of the conventional cornbread mix. I love using Bob’s Redmill Gluten-Free Cornbread mix. Another idea to make these cornbread muffins gluten-free would be to use a mixture of almond flour and oat flour as well.
More cornbread recipes to try
Best Vegan Cornbread Muffins
- 1.5 cups almond milk or your choice of non-dairy milk
- 3 tbsp lemon juice sub for apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 6 tbsp water
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup flour sub for gluten-free flour , if gluten-free
- 6 tbsp vegan butter or sub for 6 tbsp of oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup can sub for applesauce
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine water and ground flaxseeds. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a large cup, combine the almond milk and lemon juice. Set aside for 5 or 6 minutes.
- In a small pot or bowl, melt 6 tablespoons of vegan butter (sub for oil).
- In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir until combined well.
- Coat muffin tin with oil or spray oil. Fill each muffin tin with the vegan cornbread mixture halfway.Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned on the edges.
- Serve warm with vegan butter or maple syrup.