These vegan cornbread muffins are filled with vegan cheddar cheese and jalapeño. I’m positive no one will know these cheesy cornbread muffins are vegan. Yep, they are just that good. It’s the perfect compliment to my easy vegan chili.
They are so delicious & fluffy that you won’t miss butter, milk, or eggs. This Mexican-inspired cornbread recipe is so easy to make with a few baking substitutions they will be ready in no time. The jalapeños are balanced out by Daiya’s vegan cheddar cheese slices. I love Daiya’s cheese slices vs Daiya’s shredded cheese. The taste & quality is much better. Make this vegetarian cornbread at your next dinner party.
I’ve loved cornbread since I was a kid. Growing up, we ate Jiffy cornbread. Do you remember Jiffy mix? I always volunteered to mix all the cornbread ingredients. The smell of the cornbread mix used to and still does put a smile on my face. When I first became vegan I was a little worried I would not be able to enjoy some of my favorite baked goods. Once I learned about baking substitutions it helped improve my cooking and baking. For this easy vegan cornbread recipe, I used a flax egg (see instructions below) for how to make a flax egg.
What can I substitute an egg for in vegan cornbread
Mix 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed and tablespoons of water and let it sit for approximately five minutes. Finally, the flax egg will gain an egg-like consistency and will serve as your binder for the cornbread mix. That’s it.
How to make vegan cornbread from scratch
- Combine 3 tablespoons of water and 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a large cup, mix nut milk (of your choice) and lemon juice. Set aside for 5 or 6 minutes.
- Melt 6 tablespoons of vegan butter (sub for oil).
- In a large bowl, mix one cup of cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix flax egg (prepared earlier), vegan buttermilk, melted vegan butter, maple syrup, chopped vegan cheddar cheese slices, and jalapeño.
- Combine all ingredients in one bowl and stir until combined well.
- Coat muffin tin with oil or non-stick spray. Fill each muffin tin with the vegan cornbread mixture halfway.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned on the edges.
- Serve warm with vegan butter or maple syrup.
How to make gluten-free vegan cornbread
Simply use Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Cornbread. Continue following the recipe mentioned above and substitute regular flour for gluten-free flour. Alternatively, you can make your own gluten-free flour blends and use them for baking.
Is corn flour vegan-friendly
Yes, cornflour is vegan-friendly. You can use cornstarch for baking vegan recipes.
Best Vegan Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins
- 1.5 cups almond milk or your choice of non-dairy milk
- 3 tbsp lemon juice sub for apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 6 tbsp water
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup flour sub for gluten-free flour , if gluten-free
- 6 tbsp vegan butter or sub for 6 tbsp of oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup can sub for applesauce
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup shredded vegan cheese
- 1/4 jalapenos (chopped and seeded) add as many as you like
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine water and ground flaxseeds. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a large cup, combine the almond milk and lemon juice. Set aside for 5 or 6 minutes.
- In a small pot or bowl, melt 6 tablespoons of vegan butter (sub for oil).
- In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients, along with the vegan cheese and jalapenos.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir until combined well.
- Coat muffin tin with oil or spray oil. Fill each muffin tin with the vegan cornbread mixture halfway.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned on the edges. Serve warm with vegan butter or maple syrup.