This easy creamy vegan potato salad is packed with herbs, spices, and reminds me of everything I love about summer. This recipe is one you will be making all summer long.
When I first made this recipe I was hesitant if the flavors would taste as I remembered growing up. I have to say I was quite surprised at how much this potato salad tastes better than traditional potato salad. Yep, even better than the original potato salad.
Summers in Chicago are typically hot and humid which means I won’t be turning on the oven as much. This potato salad recipe is one that does not require the oven. It only takes 20-30 minutes or so to make. Try this recipe for your next summer gathering or cookout and I promise you won’t be disappointed.
Vegan Potato Salad Ingredients
Potatoes: I like to use Yukon gold potatoes for their creaminess or red potatoes. Sometimes, I mix and match both potatoes. It adds variety and makes the colors of the dish look beautiful. Also, I leave the skin on for the rich iron and minerals.
Salad dressing: It’s tangy, creamy, and made with plain vegan yogurt, dijon mustard, fresh dill, salt, black pepper, tahini, lemon juice, lemon zest, sweet relish, and garlic.
Sweet relish or capers: traditionally, sweet pickles are used in classic potato salad. However, you can use capers if you prefer. Capers go well with lemon and add a delicious briny flavor.
Dill, chives, onions, and thyme: Herbs add another depth of flavor and onions add a nice crunch.
How to make vegan potato salad
- First, make the potatoes: Chop the baby red potatoes in half. Place the chopped potatoes in a large pot, and cover them with one inch of cold water. Bring the water to a boil, and reduce the heat to simmer for about 10-12 minutes, or until fork-tender.
- Make the dressing: Whisk together the coconut yogurt, tahini, sweet relish, lemon juice and zest, dijon mustard, garlic, salt, celery seeds, and black pepper. Whisk until well combined. Fold in the fresh dill and dried thyme.
- Finish making the potato salad: Pour the dressing over the warm potatoes and gently toss. After that, add the chives, red onions, salt, and black pepper to taste.
More delicious summer vegan recipes:
Easy Vegan Potato Salad
- 1.5 lbs baby red potatoes or sub for potatoes of your choice
- 1/2 cup vegan yogurt or vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp sweet relish or sub for capers
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard or sub for yellow mustard
- 1/3 cup fresh dill leaves can sub for dried dill
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1-2 tbsp chives
- 1 medium lemon juiced & zested (use as much as you like)
- 2 garlic cloves crushed or finely minced
- 1 tsp thyme optional, can use fresh or dried
- 1 tsp celery seeds optional
- 1/3 cup tahini
- Chop the baby red potatoes in half. Place the chopped potatoes in a large pot, and cover them with one inch of cold water. Bring the water to a boil, and reduce the heat to simmer for about 10-15 minutes, or until fork-tender. Drain the potatoes, set aside to cool, then transfer to a large serving bowl.
- Whisk together the vegan yogurt, tahini, sweet relish, celery seeds, lemon juice and zest, dijon mustard, garlic, salt, and black pepper. Whisk until well combined. Fold in the fresh dill and dried thyme.
- Pour the dressing over the warm potatoes and gently toss. After that, add the chives, red onions, salt, and black pepper to season.
- Chill in the fridge for an hour and serve!