This Mexican-Inspired Sweet Potato Buddha Bowl is great for lunch or dinner. I’m loving these sweet potato bowls right now. The mixture of ingredients from cilantro, onions, garlic, lime juice, and smoked paprika, taste amazing together. This is one recipe you will enjoy all year long.
Start with a base of protein or fresh greens(e.g. quinoa, lentils, beans). Add ingredients in sections around the bowl or mix everything together. Depending on the ingredients, cut or chop veggies thinly to fit inside the bowl. Try to add a variety of different textures. Pro-tip: Add something soft (e.g. avocado), something with texture (e.g. quinoa), crunchy (e.g. pumpkin seeds), or maybe even something crispy (e.g. radishes, carrots).
Recipe video link: https://youtu.be/pVNc3YdpA0Y
Mexican Inspired Sweet Potato Buddha Bowl Ingredients
- Start with a base of brown rice
- Layer in a handful of cilantro
- Add the sweet potato and black bean mixture
- Top with a couple of scoops of avocado
- Drizzle with the juice of a lime
Pro-tip: Buddha bowls are great for meal prep and getting rid of leftovers. In addition, buddha bowls are a good way to get in lots of fiber, protein, and iron.
Mexican Inspired Sweet Potato Buddha Bowl Recipe Video
Mexican Inspired Sweet Potato Buddha Bowl
- 1 large sweet potato (about 1½ lb.) scrubbed, cut into ½" pieces
- 1 can black beans (rinsed & drained)
- 5 cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 0.5 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 pinches red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp thyme
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut your sweet potatoes into small pieces.
- Arrange sweet potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with grapeseed oil, season with sea salt, maple syrup, and thyme. Roast, tossing once until sweet potatoes are tender, approx. 25–30 minutes depending on your oven.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, chop up your onions and garlic and sauté until your aromatics become translucent. Next, add smoked paprika.
- Once the sweet potatoes are done toss them in with the onion and garlic.
- Add black beans that have been rinsed and drained.
- Add the cherry tomatoes after cutting them in half.
- Add the juice from half a lime.
- Mash up an avocado to go on top (or make guacamole).
- Serve with some brown rice (or rice of your choice).
- Adjust seasoning as needed and drizzle with remaining lime.
Looking for more recipe inspiration? Click here to check out my recipe index.